Friday, June 12, 2009

888


The Chinese regard the number 8 as a very lucky number because it sounds like the Chinese word for wealth. You might recall that the start time of the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Beijing was 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm (local time) on August 8, 2008.

I like the number 8 because of its symmetry and because when you lay it on its side, it looks like the symbol for infinity ∞.

In the Bible, the number eight represents the number for new beginnings as it comes after seven - the number of days it took God to complete His creation. Four is the number of mercy. I like to think of 8 as my personal beginning with double mercy. Lord knows I need it! And since His mercies are new every morning (Lam 3:22-23), I think its okay to believe in double mercy.

As a Christian, I’m not superstitious of course, but do you think God notices that I wait for gas pump #8 at my local Arco Station?

To infinity and beyond!

1 comment: